Friday, March 30, 2007

I love a good cutaway!


I just ran across these retro cutaways and I think they're really cool. I have the book Incredible Cross-sections which is really well done and looks great, although the artists fascination with bathrooms is a little odd... Anyways I just love to get lost in the details of these kind of drawings, and these old ones illustrated by Frank Soltesz are the bees knees! To see how a 1940's department store operated back then is really interesting to me. I mean I'm pretty sure Nordstroms doesn't have a "fur Vault" above their bakery, and I had no idea that frozen orange juice was "...made by a fascinating new process that removes water without affecting taste or vitamins."

I was also absolutely unaware that Armstrongs Corkboard and fiberglas* was so incredibly important to just about every industry in this great nation of ours. Armstrong, I salute you!



Also in the photo set is this random picture Soltesz did. I think it's great! As a man I hate it when I'm scuba diving and taking pictures of the tropical fish when a giant squid comes up and attacks me! Curse them! Luckily like the man pictured I carry a knife for just such an occasion. It'll be calamari for dinner tonight!

*OCFCorp.

No comments: