Monday, March 19, 2007

You know my name...


So I finally saw the latest 007 movie and I have to say its probably my favorite new one, and when I say new I mean post-Connery. The new one does do away with a lot of the typical Bond shtick but the cool thing is that you don't really miss them. The gadgets were always cool but this Bond doesn't need gadgets...although I'm sure a set of armored undies would have been nice. The one liners that would make just about everyone gag are gone and have been replaced with intelligent and witty banter.

Daniel Craig does a great job as Bond. I'll admit that when I first heard about him being selected as the new Bond I was less than enthusiastic. He didn't look at all like what I thought Bond was supposed to look like! He had blond hair, blue eyes and I didn't think he was all that attractive looking. Well I'm man enough to admit that I was wrong. Craig acts the part by being debonair and smooth when he needs to be and cold and calculating when in danger. His physique is pretty nice too. Its good to see a bond who is in shape, which is probably why there are so many scenes with him running at top speed instead of jumping into his Aston Martin to chase people down.

Vesper Lynd. I really liked this Bond Girl. I don't think you once see her in a bikini or skimpy outfit, in fact I think you see more of Craig then you see of her. This isn't exactly a good thing but it is very different from all the other Bond flicks. What I liked about Vesper was that she was supposed to be an intelligent accountant and what with Eva Green's acting ability and her well written dialog it makes you think that this is actually possible, unlike Denise Richards playing an American nuclear physicist in The World is Not Enough. I mean come on! She's not physicist! She probably can't even spell physicist! I really enjoyed how Vesper played off of Bond and from time to time got the better of him.

So what didn't I like. I didn't like how it felt like there were multiple endings to the movie. At least two times you think, "Oh now everything is good, they're safe, they won!" but no... Something else happens and everything revs back up. The only other thing I didn't like was that about a 3/4 of the way through the movie kind of goes chick flick on you. Luckily this doesn't last too long and its back to the bullets flying and people dying motif that I enjoy.

The only other thing I'll mention is that in the film Bond has to endure one of the most painful torture methods I've ever seen. Now its not that there's blood or that its graphics in any way because its not, you don't see anything at all really. Its just the method that is used that is just painful to watch. For me anyways...

In any event I recommend this movie. Good story, good action sequences, good acting and a sweet theme song by Chris Cornell.

No comments: