Monday, April 30, 2007

Like sands through the hour glass...


So are the days of my life...

I blame my mother for knowing that intro as well as the cheesy melodramatic music that is now playing in my head!....I wonder if Bo is still alive....

So anyways back to the point of this post. My life has switched gears. I'm not really sure if it's a downshift or an upshift or maybe it's both! My lovely, beautiful, amazingly awesome wife is with child which means that the measurement, the very gauge at which I tally my life has switched from the universally accepted years to the rather diminutive unit of weeks. Everything is in weeks now. Months and years are no longer an object that can be quantified by your brain. It's really a rather strange phenomenon! You wake one day up and everything is normal, you're 26 years old and you have about 8 months until your next birthday. The next day however you wake up to find that you're 1352 weeks old and you only have roughly 32 more weeks until you're 1404 weeks old! People come up to you and ask you, "Hey what are you doing next month? Maybe we can get together and have lunch." and you're still stuck trying to figure out what "month" means....mon...monnnnthhhh. Okay so its not actually that bad and I totally understand why its broken down that way for the first nine months, I mean during those 7 day intervals amazing things are happening! In one weeks time your soon to be prodigy goes from looking more like Kermit the Frog's earlier years to a micro-machine version of your great uncle Harry. Its unbelievable! My kid is growing his/her arms in a week and I can't even get my dirty dishes off of my desk and into the dishwasher in that time! He's 8 weeks old (inside-womb-old) and already he's more efficient than I am!!

Here's where I really don't understand the whole week thing though. The baby is born and they're 4 months old but no one says they're 4 months, no! They say, "He's 16 weeks" Why? Is it because 16 is a larger number and it makes the parents feel like the baby is older than he/she actually is, or is it because the parents have forgotten how to use the month and year measurement and it takes them a bit to get back into the habit of using them.

In any event I'm sure these next 32 odd weeks will go by quick.

No comments: